Gone are the heavy days of winter where I want to snuggle up in a blanket and eat warm soup and butter bread. Don’t get me wrong; I’m still a carb lover at heart, but my diet tends to change when winter ends. With the days getting longer and the sun shining 75% of the time, I don’t want to spend an endless amount of time in the kitchen slaving over a stove. I prefer fast, yet satisfying meals. My friend, this spring salad has it all. Protein, fiber, dairy (a cheese substitute can be used instead if you can’t have dairy, even though I’m lactose intolerant and have no issues with feta), antioxidants, vitamins, and so much more. Trust me. You want this 10 minute salad.
- Romaine Lettuce: Only contains 17 calories per serving and has high water content, which is perfect to help control your weight.
- Carrots: High in beta-carotene, Vitamin A, Vitamin K, and good for your cardiovascular health
- Strawberries: High in fiber and potassium, not to mention they are delicious
- Walnuts: An essential fatty acid that contains manganese and Vitamin B
- Craisins: Honestly, just provides enough sweetness to appease my occasional craving of junk food
- Hemp Seeds: Contains 10 grams of protein per 3 TBSP; contains iron and other essential minerals needed in your body; I buy mine here.
- Feta Cheese: A Greek cheese made primarily from goat or sheep’s milk; has a salty, tangy flavor; lower in calories than traditional cheese from cow’s milk; nutritional in moderation due to the salt content; tastes delicious and a staple in this Greek woman’s household
- Olive oil and red wine vinegar: Used as the dressing, but feel free to use any vinaigrette of your choice
Now, I am by no means a nutritionist, so I encourage everyone to do their own research when it comes to their diet. Know your needs and approximate calorie intake each day and stick to a plan. I wouldn’t eat this salad five nights a week, but for my size and weight, once or twice is ideal. My husband even loves it and he despises vegetables.
I had two pups watching me as I made the salad and couldn’t help but snap their pictures. They’re my forever sidekicks!
If you try this salad, let me know what you think!